Weekly Newsletter – Friday, May 31, 2013
This will be the final e-newsletter of the 2012-13 school year. We will begin sending out an e-newsletter for the 2013-14 school year on Friday, July 26.
CONGRATULATIONS CLASS OF 2013! -- OVER $17.5 MILLION IN MERIT BASED SCHOLARSHIPS!!
The Roncalli High School Class of 2013 celebrated a beautiful Baccalaureate liturgy in our Family Room last Friday with close to 1300 people in attendance. We extend a special thank you to all of the priests and pastors from our South Deanery parishes that joined us for the liturgy. The Class of 2013, joined by close to 3000 family members and friends, celebrated commencement exercises in the Roncalli Stadium on Saturday, May 25.
At the Baccalaureate liturgy it was announced that the Class of 2013 had amassed in excess of $17.5 million in merit based scholarships. Also announced that evening were the special year end awards. Congratulations to the following graduates who were honored:
- Perfect Attendance (four years) -
Caleb Akers, Christian Alspach, Samuel Bielawski, Austin Buschkoetter, Erin Leppert, Joey Roeder, Jackson Sheff, Colton Sowers
- Robert F. Tully Scholarship – Robbie Massing
- Robbie Schutz Award – Mandy Feagans
- Bernie Dever Award – Joey Wolf
- Spirit of Roncalli Awards – Robbie Prather, Cameron Powers, Mary Jo Soller
- Blessed Pope John XXIII Awards – Lauren Webb, David Saling
Congratulations once again to all of the members of the Class of 2013! What a joy and blessing it was to have you in our school these past four years! God’s blessings as you move forward in your life journey! View more pictures on our Facebook page.
MARY HALL NAMED RECIPIENT OF THE 2013 BLESSED POPE JOHN XXIII AWARD
At the graduation ceremonies, long time RHS educator, Mary Hall, was honored with a 2013 Blessed Pope John XXIII Award. Mary is retiring this year after 45 years in education, the last 35 of those years coming at Roncalli. Mary brought a high level of excellence to every role she held at Roncalli, which were many; teacher, coach, Girls Sports Director, department chairperson, guidance counselor, Guidance Director, College and Career Counselor. Congratulations Mary – you are a most deserving recipient! Thank you for the incredible level of dedication along with the tireless work ethic you brought to our school these past 35 years! May God bless you, Tom and your family with many years of good health and much happiness in your retirement!
AUSTIN BUSCHKOETTER (’13) WINS NATIONAL ARCHITECTURAL COMPETITION
Congratulations to recent RHS graduate, Austin Buschkoetter, who got word last week that his entry in the 2013 National Women in Construction Architectural Design contest was named the National Champion. Austin’s design won top honors against ten other entries from across the United States. He is the recipient of a check for $1500. He becomes Roncalli’s ninth national champion in this architectural design competition since 1997. Congratulations as well to RHS architecture instructor, Mr. Jim Ratliff!
Way to go Austin – we are proud of you!
REPORT CARDS TO BE MAILED HOME
The final report card of this school year, which includes the students’ fourth quarter grades, second semester exam grades and second semester grades were mailed home on Friday, May 31. Please contact the school if you do not receive your child’s report card by mid-week of the following week. Please contact the school immediately if there is a question about a grade on the report card.
SENIOR APPOINTMENTS FOR NEXT YEAR
Each year rising seniors and their parents/guardians are invited to meet with their guidance counselor prior to the start of senior year (July 30 – August 9). Topics include: the college application process, retaking the ACT/SAT, diploma status, financial aid and scholarships, creating the college list, letters of recommendation, essays, NCAA/NAIA, etc.
Specific information regarding how to schedule your Senior Appointment will be sent to the family of each member of the Class of 2014 in early July!
SCHOOL CALENDAR FOR 2013-14
The first day of school for next year will be Monday, August 12. Freshman Orientation for all members of the RHS Class of 2017 will be on Saturday, August 3. For a school calendar for next year click here.
CLASS OF 2014 SENIOR PORTRAIT INFORMATION
Members of the RHS Class of 2014 should have received information in the mail this week from Prestige Portraits regarding senior portraits. The following are some key aspects to be aware of related to senior portraits.
Only portraits taken by Prestige Portraits will be included in the Senior Section of the yearbook and in the Class of 2013 composite picture that hangs in the school’s main hallway. However, you are NOT obligated to purchase any portraits from Prestige. You will be asked to pay a $15 sitting fee. A senior must have their picture taken by Prestige by November 13, 2013, to be included in the yearbook and class composite.
- must wear a dress shirt and tie
- must be clean shaven with no facial hair
- hair must be properly groomed and of its original color
- no piercing beyond a pierced ear
- shoulders must be covered
- modest top must be worn (NO cleavage showing)
- No piercing beyond a pierced ear
You may schedule your appointment and find more information at www.prestigeindiana.com or call 317-829-2088.
STILL TIME TO ORDER A 2012-13 YEARBOOK!
You can still order a yearbook for the 2012-13 school year. Go online to www.roncalli.org/yearbook and place your order before June 25th. Yearbooks will be delivered to seniors at a special gathering July 25th from 6-7:30 in the cafeteria. Freshmen, sophomores and juniors will pick their yearbooks up on the first day of school. Order now before they are all spoken for. Questions? Mrs. Julie Albertson may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
ST. ROSE PARISH FESTIVAL
All in the Roncalli Family are invited to attend the 16th annual parish festival taking place on May 31 and June 1 on the grounds of St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church, just off St. Rd 44.
With many family-friendly events planned, you’ll not want to miss Franklin’s LARGEST garage sale, inflatable “jump-arounds” for the kids, or our wonderful food tents and live music featuring Polka Boy!
Please join us for a great weekend of fun and fellowship!
Other notable events:
- Friday, May 31st—K of C Fish Fry: 4-7pm, Polka Boy: 7-11pm (rain date 6/1), inflatable jump-arounds, Beer/Wine & Food tents, Chinese Auction and raffles, Garage Sale starts at 8AM.
- Saturday, June 1st--- FFA Pork Chop Dinner: 4-7pm, kids games, inflatable jump-arounds, Beer/Wine & Food tents, Chinese Auction and raffles, Garage Sale starts at 8 AM.
ST. JUDE SUMMER FESTIVAL 2013
Join us for a weekend of fun, food and fellowship at the St. Jude Summer Festival, June 20-22. Featuring fantastic entertainment such as Blindside and Super Groove, delicious homemade food, rides, games, silent auction, bingo, Monte Carlo and more! Hours: Thursday—5:00 – 10:00 PM.; Friday and Saturday—5:00 – 11:00 PM; Thursday night—Fr. Carlton dinner; Friday night—Iaria’s Italian dinner; Saturday night—fried chicken dinner. Grand Prize Drawing for $3,000, $1,000 and two $500 cash prizes!
TIM TEBOW AND OVERCOMING OBSTACLES
Tim Tebow, one of the most polarizing figures in sports, was recently rated the most influential athlete by Forbes.com. While his reach is unmatched, Tebow has found himself in a tough situation to overcome with his recent release by the Jets. Tony Dungy has some advice and words of encouragement for him.
Have you ever had an experience at work or home where it didn’t work out in your favor? If so, how did you respond? And what got you through those tough times? Just as Coach advised Tebow to be patient and ready to go, we must do the same when hard circumstances or disappointments come our way. These are important values to begin instilling in your children from an early age. While there must be a balance between pushing too hard and being patient, teaching your kids perseverance is important because it produces character. Strong character is what remains during the fire of trials. If your children are having issues overcoming difficulties, check out our 10 Ways to Teach Your Children to Overcome Obstacles.
(Courtesy of All Pro Dad)
- For the repose of the soul of Dottie Lynch who passed away this past Tuesday and for her family and friends that mourn her loss. She was the mother of two RHS graduates and grandmother of numerous RHS graduates including recent 2013 graduate, Robbie Massing.
- For the repose of the soul of Rodger Jones who passed away this past Wednesday and for his family and friends that mourn his loss. He was the father of RHS sophomore, Ari Jones.
- For all in the Roncalli Family that are fighting life threatening illnesses, for their families and for their caregivers!
- For a safe, relaxing and enjoyable summer for all in the Roncalli Family.
- For the men and women of our armed forces and their families, especially our Roncalli High School alums who are serving in the military.
- For the many RHS alums who are preparing for a vocation as a priest at seminaries and houses of formation.
- For vocations to the priesthood, religious life and missionary field, and that Roncalli High School and its families will provide a nurturing environment that fosters and supports these vocations.
OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD!
2012-2013 Annual Fund Progress
Make an Online Donation
Other Important Information